Hurricane on the Bayou
Hurricane on the Bayou
carries audiences behind today’s news headlines on a journey deep into the soul-stirring heart of Louisiana. Shot before and after the unprecedented devastation of Hurricane Katrina and featuring state-of-the-art CGI special effects depicting the height of the storm’s fury, Hurricane on the Bayou
brings into focus the startling loss of Louisiana’s rapidly disappearing coastal wetlands that are New Orleans’ first line of defense against deadly storms. The story is told through the personal stories of four musicians, both legendary and rising, who are drawing attention to this environmental calamity.
Fueled by a jazz, blues, and gospel score featuring many of New Orleans’s greatest musicians, Hurricane on the Bayou is a haunting giant screen document of Katrina’s powerful effects, a profound musical celebration of the city that has been called the “soul of America,” and a compelling call to restore New Orleans and protect the vital wetlands from which the city’s unique identity first arose.
|Documentary, Ecology, Natural Disasters, Nature, Concert/Music
- Best Film Produced for Giant Screen Theaters, Giant Screen Cinema Association (GSCA), 2007.
- Best Film for Learning, Giant Screen Cinema Association (GSCA), 2007.
- Best Sound, Giant Screen Cinema Association (GSCA), 2007.
- Best Marketing Campaign by a Distributor, Giant Screen Cinema Association (GSCA), 2007
- Best Poster, Giant Screen Cinema Association (GSCA), 2006.
- CINE Golden Eagle Award, CINE Awards, 2007.
- Youth Prize, La Géode Film Festival, Paris, 2007.
- Accolade Award for Excellence, Accolade Competition, 2007.
- Platinum Best of Show, Aurora Awards, 2007.
- Alternate Titles:
- Status: In Distribution
- 3D: No
- Run Time: 42 minutes
- Format: 15/70, 8/70, Dome-customized 15/70
- Produced By:
- Executive Producer: Audubon Nature Institute, Steve Dorand, Karyn Noles Bewley, Harrison Smith
- Producer: Greg MacGillivray
- Director: Greg MacGillivray
- Associate Producer:
- Writer: Glen Pitre
- Cinematography: Brad Ohlund, Ron Goodman, Jack Tankard
- Sound Editor:
- Visual Effects:
- Music/Score: Steve Wood, original score. Features the music of Amanda Shaw, Tab Benoit, Allen Toussaint, Joseph "Chubby" Carrier, Jr., and Marva Wright.
- Editor: Jim Foster, Neguine Sanani
- Narrator: Meryl Streep
- Other Credits: Visual effects by Sassoon Film Design.
- Sponsors: Major funding provided by the State of Louisiana. Presented by The Weather Channel.