Hubble 3D, narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio, takes moviegoers on an unprecedented voyage through distant galaxies to explore the grandeur and mystery of our celestial surroundings. Experience never-before-seen 3D flights through the farthest reaches of the universe, and accompany spacewalking astronauts on some of the most difficult and important endeavors in NASA’s history.
In May 2009, the crew of the Space Shuttle Atlantis launched a mission to make vital repairs and upgrades to the Hubble Space Telescope, the world’s first space-based observatory, 350 miles above the Earth. On board was an IMAX 3D camera, operated by the shuttle astronauts. It captured stunning sequences of the five intricate spacewalks required to make those repairs, as well as close-up images of the effort to grasp the orbiting telescope with the shuttle’s mechanical arm at 17,500 mph, and one unexpected problem that threatened to sabotage the entire mission.
Hubble 3D combines this breathtaking IMAX footage with images taken by the telescope during the nearly 20 years it has been our window into space. Through advanced computer visualization, Hubble’s detailed data becomes a series of scientifically realistic flights that unfold on screen like a guided tour of the universe, through time and space.
- Best Film Produced Exclusively for the Giant Screen, GSCA 2010 Achievement Awards
- Best Film for Learning, GSCA 2010 Achievement Awards
- Best Cinematography, James Neihouse, GSCA 2010 Achievement Awards
|Director of Photography James Neihouse put the astronauts through an eight-month course in cinematography. Neihouse estimates he has trained nearly 130 astronauts for 20 different shuttle flights over the past 20 years.
- "Behind the Scenes of Hubble 3D," Barbara Jewett, www.ncsa.illinois.edu. November 9, 2010.
- "IMAX Puts 3D Spin on Science Films with Hubble 3D," The Independent, April 6, 2010
- "Seeing What the Hubble Sees, in IMAX and 3D," The New York Times, April 5, 2010
- "New Science Centre IMAX Movie Earns Schoolkids' Rave," TorontoObserver.com, March 24, 2010
- "Full Sail University Faculty and Students Work on IMAX Film," EarthTimes.org, March 20, 2010
- "Hubble and the Space Shuttle in IMAX 3D," CNN.com, March 19, 2010
- "IMAX Hubble 3D: The Most Beautiful, Depressing Movie of the Year," www.ugo.com, March 18, 2010
- "Hubble 3D: A Spectacular Look at the Universe," Chicago Tribune, March 18, 2010
- "The Making of IMAX: Hubble 3D," CNET.com, March 15, 2010
- "Hubble 3D Opens in IMAX Theaters March 19," SpaceDaily.com, March 15, 2010
- "SXSW Review: Hubble 3D," Film SchoolRejects.com, March 14, 2010
- "Hubble Telescope Story to Hit IMAX Theaters in 3D March 19," Tonic.com, March 13, 2010
- "Air and Space Museum Rolls Out Red Carpet for Hubble 3D Premiere," CollectSpace.com, March 10, 2010
- "Hubble 3D Captures Wonder of Space Flight," Houston Chronicle, March 8, 2010