Living Sea, The
The Living Sea
celebrates the beauty and power of the ocean as it explores our relationship with this complex and fragile environment. Using beautiful images of unspoiled healthy waters, The Living Sea
offers hope for recovery engendered by productive scientific efforts.
Oceanographers studying humpback whales, jellyfish, and deep-sea life show us that the more we understand the ocean and its inhabitants, the more we will know how to protect them. The film also highlights the Central Pacific islands of Palau, one of the most spectacular underwater habitats in the world, to show the beauty and potential of a healthy ocean.
|Documentary, Ecology, Oceanography, Nature
- Nominated for a 1995 Academy Award for Best Documentary/Short Subject.
- Gold Award, The Worldfest Houston.
- Gold Camera Award, nominated for Best of Festival, U.S. International Film & Video Festival.
- Certificate of Merit, The Chicago International Film Festival.
- IMAX Hall of Fame Award, 2007.
|The highest grossing documentary film of 1995 and 1996.
- Alternate Titles:
- Status: In Distribution
- 3D: No
- Run Time: 40 minutes
- Format: 15/70, 8/70, 10/70, Dome-customized 15/70
- Produced By:
MacGillivray Freeman Films
. Produced in association with NAUTICUS; the National Maritime Center, Virginia; and the Ocean Film Network.
- Executive Producer: White Oak Associates, Inc.
- Producer: Greg MacGillivray, David Keighley, Alec Lorimore
- Director: Greg MacGillivray
- Associate Producer:
- Writer: Tim Cahill, Roger Holzberg
- Cinematography: Ron Fricke, Greg MacGillivray (DOP)
- Sound Editor:
- Visual Effects:
- Music/Score: Features songs and music by Sting.
- Editor: Stephen Judson
- Narrator: Meryl Streep
- Other Credits: