Amazon Adventure tells the epic, true story of explorer Henry Bates’ fascinating 11-year journey through the visually stunning and biodiverse Amazon rainforest as a young man who risks his life for science in the 1850’s.
As in any great detective story, audiences will experience, in immersive IMAX®, the compelling clues Bates unearths in his major discovery of the phenomenon of mimicry, whereby certain animals adopt the look of others that helps them deceive predators and gain an advantage to survive.
Little known to the public, Bates made other crucial contributions to biology: identifying 8,000 species new to science and most importantly, putting forth the first ever case for the creation of a new species, which Charles Darwin called the “beautiful proof” for natural selection.
Audiences will be wowed by the mind-boggling examples of camouflage and mimicry and inspired by Bates’ endless curiosity and determination to explore the wilds of nature from the time he was a young boy.
As in SK’s award winning film Flight of the Butterflies, nature is extraordinary and science is adventure, just waiting to be discovered.
|Documentary, Animals, Nature, Biology, Historical, Exploration/Discovery
- Alternate Titles:
- Status: In Distribution
- 3D: Yes
- Run Time: 45 minutes
- Format: 15/70, DCI-compliant Digital, IMAX Digital, IMAX Laser, Dome-customized 15/70
- Produced By: SK Films
- Executive Producer: Jonathan Barker, Sean B. Carroll
- Producer: Produced by Jonathan Barker, Wendy MacKeigan, Mike Slee, Yuri Sanada, Vera RP Sanada. Surpervising producers: Myles Connolly, Kym Crepin
- Director: Mike Slee
- Associate Producer:
- Writer: Wendy MacKeigan, Carl Knutson
- Cinematography: Gerry Vasbenter, Richard Kirby
- Sound Editor:
- Visual Effects:
- Music/Score: Antonio Pinto
- Editor: Caroline Christie
- Other Credits: Lead Actors: Calum Finlay, Ed Birch, Robert Daws, Begê Muniz, William Postlethwaite, Louis Partridge. Production Design: Marie Lanna. Costume design: Claire Finlay-Thompson
- Sponsors: Key Partners: Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, National Science Foundation, HHMI/Tangled Bank Studios, Simons Foundation Science Sandbox, Government of Canada, Pacific Science Center, Foxconn Brasil, Agencia Nacional do Cinema Brasil, Vale