Director, Theaters and Attractions
Company: Museum of Science, Boston
Location: Boston, MA
Contact: Apply here: https://mos.applicantpro.com/jobs/1342454-443223.html
The Museum of Science, Boston, seeks a Director of Theaters and Attractions. Ideally starting in March 2020, the Director will oversee the Museum's digital IMAX giant screen dome theater (the Mugar Omni Theater), the 4-D Theater, Thrill Ride 360 (a venue consisting of two MaxFlight motion simulators), and is responsible for current and future revenue generating ancillary amenities and attractions. This position blends content selection and scheduling, industry advocacy, venue oversight, technical systems expertise, and business analysis and strategy in the direction of key museum venues serving 400,000 to 500,000 visitors per year and generating $2 million+ in annual revenue.
The Director of Theaters and Attractions will join the Museum in an exciting role at a pivotal time. Open since 1987 as New England's first IMAX screen, the Museum' Mugar Omni Theater is New England's only 180 degree giant dome theater. In early 2020, the Omni Theater is undergoing renovation including conversion of the original 70mm projection system to a state-of-the-art IMAX® 4K digital projection system. In addition, the Museum has commissioned Cosmic Picture to produce a New England themed giant screen feature film slated for release in 2021.
- Responsible for three important Museum venues operating 362 days per year, serving 400,000 to 500,000 guests annually
- Oversight of four departments generating in excess of $2 million annually
- Expense budgets totally approximately $1 million annually
- Select, negotiate contracts for, and schedule 6-10 film offerings for the general public annually plus additional offerings for specialized audiences such as Overnight attendees, private functions, and school field trips
This role normally works Monday – Friday but also requires schedule flexibility with availability for occasional evening and weekend work and availability during the Museum's busy school vacation and holiday periods.
Associate Vice President, Visitor Experience & Operations
- Bachelors of Science or Arts degree.
- Eight or more years of theater or attractions operation experience, including at least five years of venue management experience.
- Experience managing a theater or similar high volume attraction or venue.
- Experience identifying and evaluating media production quality, content, and audience appeal to make programming recommendations for an organization.
- Proven track record in business analysis, forecasting, and budgeting.
- Proven contract negotiation skills.
- Track record of successfully organizing and overseeing work via collaborations internally across departments and externally with third party partners.
- Proven experience problem-solving, organizational skills, and attention to detail in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated skills in effective communication in person, over the phone, and in writing.
- Proficiency in computer skills including MS Office Suite and aptitude for adopting other computer programs as needed.
- Proven experience and aptitude to oversee all technical aspects of multimedia based venues, including hardware and software use and troubleshooting.
Exempt (Salaried). Commensurate with experience.
Benefits for full-time, exempt (salaried) staff include: free parking, T accessibility, 23 vacation days, 12 holidays, 10 sick days, medical, dental, and vision insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, retirement and savings plan, health care/dependent care flex spending plan, employee discounts, employee referral program, tuition assistance, professional development, direct deposit, free admission, free Duck Tours, discounted movie passes, and much more
How to Apply
Apply here: https://mos.applicantpro.com/jobs/1342454-443223.html